Friday, January 18, 2008

It's hip to be square y'all

Once again in the world of television, you'll never know when references to Welk will pop up.

Last night, while channel surfing, I stumbled upon the Independent Film Channel and saw this mockumentary titled CSA: The Confederate States of America. It's basically alternate American history under the premise of if the South won the Civil War and what has happened since.

I did enjoy watching it, it was well done...but I do have a bone to pick....

During the segment where the narrator mentions that CSA culture never evolves from "government-inspired propaganda"....they used refrences to the Lawrence Welk Show.

I know it's true that according to mainstream media, that the Maestro was never considered hip like the fellers, and has a reputation of being square.....

and yes, I must admit that I had a good chuckle....I always enjoy good parody, but come on....there's a lot more entertainment icons so many that can be deemed as un-hip.

And since this was supposed to be America under the South's infuence in the movie, I was thinking that CSA culture would be more that of "Mama's Family", "Hee Haw", "The Dukes of Hazzard" and of course "The Porter Wagoner Show".

Still, whenver Lawrence Welk refrences pop up on television, it's always an exciting thing!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: