Sunday, September 23, 2007

Salute To Jimmy McHugh

This week, Lawrence Welk salutes the music of Jimmy McHugh....many of his tunes you may have heard before on previous shows.

But on this Saturday, the Music Makers salute his body of work in just one hour of fine television entertainment....here's the Maestro leading the studio audience during the number, "On The Sunny Side Of The Street."

There's a whole plethora of great numbers in the show, such as Ava Barber's treatment of "You're A Sweetheart (If There Ever Was One)"....

And there's Jim Turner with "I Don't Have Anything But Love"....done very nice on guitar of course,

How about Jimmy's first big hit from 1924, titled "When My Sugar Walks Down The Street" sung by the Aldridge Sisters and Otwell Twins?

And here's Ralna English in the solo spot with, "Don't Blame Me."

Other numbers include, "Doin' The New Lodown" by Arthur Duncan....the chorus opening the show with "I Feel A Song Coming On", and the orchestra playing "I'm In The Mood For Love" just to name a few.

Now it's time for Mary Lou's interview segment....

...and this week folks, Ralna is her guest in the hot seat

Here, she talks about the work on her very own PBS pledge special, "From My Heart" along with the gifts you get during pledge week....her family cookbook, which I proudly have a copy of my own....and her life so far in Arizona, her daughter Julie and much much more.

So far, three weeks in and it's been a great season of Welk and bubbles on public TV....until next week, keep those VCRs humming and a song in your heart!
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first two weeks of the season were preempted by MPT (which makes the 14th week of preemption since January 1). This week was one of the worst weeks I have seen. I was disappointed my favorites Gail and Mary Lou did nothing, the Aldridges and Otwells sounded out of tune, and some of the other numbers were pretty bad. I'm hoping for better next week. From what I saw on Youtube, the last two weeks were great...