Saturday, March 10, 2007

Ralna English: From My Heart

Tonight, in week two of public television's pledge-a-thon, I got to see Ralna's own PBS special. Ralna English: From My Heart was taped last September at the Belk Theatre in Charlotte, NC where Ralna and her vocals were backed up by the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. This is the first time I got to see it, and lets just say that it lived up to it's name....simply wunnerful, wunnerful!

I liked the selection of songs she used in the program, from big band standards like "Tangerine", "You'll Never Know" and "I'll Be Seeing You", to torch songs like "Memory", patriotic fare such as "God Bless America" and gospel spirituals such as her signature "How Great Thou Art". Ralna's 90-minute special was basically a musical tour of American history....all written in song.

Here's Ralna to open up the show.....

....and when it is time for act two, where she swings into high.....

....leading up to act three in which "everything comes together" for one heckua finale!

And by the way....I did put in a pledge of $60, which means in a few weeks, I'll be getting the family cookbook complete with pictures. It is money well spent, doing my part to keep public TV with many more seasons of Welk and super-cool specials, such as TV Treasures and this one.

See you all later, tommorow is the Maestro's birthday and don't forget to jump your clocks ahead an hour for Daylight Savings Time!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: